[Mailman-Users] Dealing with rate limiting from Roadrunner/Time Warner
Conrad G T Yoder
cgtyoder at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 16 03:31:51 CEST 2014
On May 15, 2014, at 8:48 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Conrad G T Yoder writes:
>>> Are these true bounces (ie, permanent delivery failures) or just the
>>> temporary failures due to rate limiting, causing delays of many hours
>>> or days in delivery?
>> It is a true bounce - mail is being rejected. The error message is
>> phrased as a "temporary failure," but the message is bounced at the
>> SMTP transaction. “At some point,” they stop bouncing. RR won’t
>> say when that happens.
> The log you display is not a true bounce. If your host's MTA is
> configured properly, you may get DSNs saying that you don't need to do
> anything but wait, but your users' bounce counts are not increasing
> due to messages like the one below, and they probably are eventually
> being delivered (although that can't be determined from the log below).
Gotcha. I guess someone thought it was a true bounce and configured their servers appropriately. :^)
> The only effective measures you can take that I can see based on what
> you have written so far are (1) find a competent and responsive host
> for your list (there may not be any, though; I'm not sure what to do
> to get reliable timely delivery to a system like Roadrunner), or
> (2) tell your Roadrunner subscribers that their host is incapable of
> supporting reliable mail delivery and that you can't do anything; if
> they care about reliable delivery of mailing lists including yours,
> they should use an address at a competent provider (GMail is the only
> competent and approximately socially responsible freemail provider I
> know of).
I will certainly be encouraging people with RR addresses to switch.
I have not yet tried the nuclear option - the infamous EECB (Executive Email Carpet Bomb). This of course should only be used when all other options have been exhausted. I’ll probably end up doing it with the Time Warner people. I did it a few years ago when I was (having no success) going through the usual channels of AOL marking mailing list email as spam. Within 2 hours of the EECB I got a call from one of their Anti-Spam Operations team members, and she gave me her direct phone number and email address at that point for any future needed correspondence. Things started happening then.
Truth is information.
More information about the Mailman-Users