[Mailman-Users] Mailman + Exim + strange headers

Sergio Durigan Junior sergiodj at sergiodj.net
Mon May 19 18:56:28 CEST 2014

On Monday, May 19 2014, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Sergio Durigan Junior writes:
>
>  > As you can see, the first two "Received:" headers got messed up somehow,
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "messed up".  They looked
> perfectly readable and RFC-conforming to me.
>
>  > and the lines are not being prefix by \t but by one single space
>  > char.
>
> This is the RFC 5322 recommendation for folding header fields (use a
> space, not a tab).

Thanks for pointing the RFC.  I had the impression that, a while ago, I
read an RFC explicitly mentioning that it should be a \t, not a space.
Probably a thinko.

>  > use Exim without Mailman, so maybe it is Mailman or some weird scenario
>  > of Mailman + Exim modifying the e-mails without permission.
>
> Older versions of Mailman (I'm not sure how old) are known to
> sometimes modify the headers by unfolding them and then refolding them
> when reassembling the message.  This may still be true of the most
> recent versions.  I believe this is considered a bug but hard to fix,
> and probably not worth fixing for that reason.  Is this actually
> causing problems, or is it just ugly?

I am not exactly sure, but I wanted to try "fixing" this and see if
things got better.  The real problem is Google/Gmail tagging the mailing
list messages as Spam, but since the headers are fine, the cause must be
something else.

Thank you,

--
Sergio