[Mailman-Users] Approve/Deny moderated posts via email - my failure to understand how

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 20 03:31:14 CEST 2014

On 05/19/2014 08:09 AM, Drew Tenenholz wrote:

> When a moderated message came in this morning, I _thought_ I followed the instructions by hitting reply, then adding the Approved header to the top of the message body as below.
>
> What happened instead was that my message (I'm also an approved list member) got sent to the list VERBATIM, including the display of the list password.  This is a minor list, and the damage is minimal, but I don't want this to happen again.  I've had similar problems before, and thus stayed clear of the email method to approve/deny, but now that the web interface is down, I NEED this to work correctly.

If you replied to the message, your reply was only sent to the list
owners and moderators, not to the whole list, and the approved pseudo
header wasn't stripped because it isn't anticipated the messages to
-owner have one.

> What's the trick to being able to approve/deny via email?

The thing that told you you could reply to this message to discard the
post or with an Approved: header or first body line to accept it, was a
separate message/rfc822 part, ant it was telling you to reply to that
part, not the outer message. That message is From: the list -request
address with Subject: confirm <confirmation token>.

So the trick is to send a message to the list -request address with
Subject: confirm <confirmation token> (or maybe Re: confirm
<confirmation token>) and with the Approved: header or first body line,
which you can do by replying to the message/rfc822 sub-part if your MUA
supports that. Otherwise you need some copy and paste.