[Mailman-Users] Reply to list out of control...

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 12 04:40:58 CET 2014

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > Look at the messages received from the list. If this is Mailman 2.1.18-1
 > and dmarc_moderation_action and/or from_is_list is Munge From and
 > reply_goes_to_list is Poster, there should be a Reply-To: header with
 > the original poster's address.

I suspect the OP's list has historically munged Reply-To, and now
subscribers are getting annoying dupes because Munge From "moves" the
p=reject address in From to Reply-To, adding it to the list's address
which was already there according to the reply_to_list setting.

To the OP: If what you want is for the mail to go to list only, your
issue is Yahoo!'s fault.  (If not, the following rant doesn't apply,
and we need to figure out what is really going wrong at your site.)

Reply-To isn't broken, and neither is Mailman.  Yahoo! is deliberately
abusing the DMARC protocol because they had a massive security breach
("lesser of two evils"), and at least their tech staff knows exactly
what they're doing and admits it (apologies are prohibited under the
corporate NDA, of course ;-).  Just send the mail as is and let the
Yahoo! users complain to Yahoo! about the dupes.

Yahoo! is slowly (especially considering that one of their senior
techs is a co-author on the DMARC protocol document) moving toward
actually doing work on improving the situation since the spammer and
phishers are not going away, they're just temporarily thwarted.
Pressure from Yahoo! users might up the incentive to supply more
Yahoo! brainpower to the DMARC working group at the IETF. :-)