[Mailman-Users] HTML content from GMX gets scrubbed in archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 7 04:14:47 CEST 2014

On 10/06/2014 04:20 AM, Peter Wetz wrote:
>     So the answer to your simple question is simply "you can't".
>

> maybe my use of "how can html-mails be properly displayed" was
> misleading. i dont want any html formatting to be preserved. i simply
> want an html mail be converted to plain text and then get shown in the
> archive without any scrubbed attachments. is that possible?
>
> i think that my problem is more specific: when i write an HTML mail from
> gmail to my list, it gets archived properly, i.e., i can see the html as
> plain text. all is fine. however, when I sent an html mail via the web
> interface of the popular freemail gmx, the message's html get scrubbed
> as an attachment and nothing is schon besides the scrubbed attachment.
>
> why is it working with html mails from gmail and why isn't it working
> with html mails from gmx?

Last question first. The mail from gmail is multipart/alternative with
text/plain and text/html alternative parts. The archiver still scrubs
the text/html part and replaces it with a link, but there is also the
text/plain part which is archived inline.

The mail from gmx is html only, so there is no text/plain part to
archive inline.

You can accomplish what you want in the archives using Mailman's content
filtering, but this will also affect posts delivered to the list
members. If that is acceptable, you want the following in the lists
Content filtering settings.

filter_content = Yes

filter_mime_types -> totally empty, not even any whitespace

pass_mime_types -> at least the following 3 lines, maybe more if you
want to allow other attachment types.

multipart
text/plain
text/html

filter_filename_extensions -> the default list is probably OK

pass_filename_extensions -> totally empty, not even any whitespace

collapse_alternatives -> probably Yes. If you make this No, for a
multipart/alternative message with both text/plain and text/html
alternatives, you will wind up with a message with both the original
text/plain part and a second text/plain part containing Mailman's
conversion of the text/html part.

convert_html_to_plaintext -> Yes