[Mailman-Users] Mac, me, icloud. Many domains one user.

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Thu Oct 16 13:35:33 CEST 2014

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014, Marino Pascal wrote:

> I know how to add addresses with the "accept_these_nonmembers Option"

That's the way I sort-of-regularly use.

We have mailing lists inside our nationwide organization (inaf.it), where,
for historical reasons, each of our 22 institutes may have 2-3 different
subdomains. In general each user chooses freely which subdomain to use.

If this does not match the address one subscribed, the message stops in
moderation. Usually the first of the co-moderators to "unlock" the message
inserts the address in "accept_these_nonmembers" (which can be done with
just a tick), if he remembers to do it.

The other way is to force an user to use the subscribed address only.

In fact what I said above for "accept_these_nonmembers" works for the
public discussion list. There are other more institutional lists where the
member list is regenerated automatically weekly from the payrolls (and
uses an "official" address which the user cannot change). But these are
one-to-many (or centre-to-periphery) lists, where users very rarely *post*
to the list.

Some Mail User Agents allow to define a "role" when posting to a specific
address, so in this case the knowledgeable user may define such a role,
which uses the official, although not his preferred, address when posting
to the institutional lists.

However if the patch to deal with multiple domains for one user becomes an
official feature (perhaps mantained via the web interface), it might be an
interesting feature.