[Mailman-Users] Strange rejection - THANKS!!!

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Oct 27 22:17:10 CET 2014

On Sat, 2014-10-25 at 08:36 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/24/2014 11:17 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> > The vette logfile just says:
> >
> > Oct 24 23:15:30 2014 (2180) Message discarded, msgid: <1414210524.38839.9.camel at pudina.fmp.com>

> In Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, in the _dopipeline() method look at
> the code for the except Errors.DiscardMessage: clause
>  and the except Errors.RejectMessage, e: clause. Augment the syslog
> message in except Errors.DiscardMessage: similarly to that in except
> Errors.RejectMessage, e:, except there is no 'e' in the discard case so
> you can't include the 'reason:' part.
>
> Note that the only standard handlers that discard messages are
>
> [..snip]
>
> SpamDetect: Privacy options... -> Spam filters -> header_filter_rules
>           with discard action
>       header matches something in mm_cfg.KNOWN_SPAMMERS

With the help of the vette logging enhancement which Mark suggested, I
isolated the problem to the SpamDetect handler and tracked it down to a
filter rule which objected to the regexp ".*SpamAssassin" in any header.
For some reason this was showing up in the header of my inbound posts
(which were coming in remotely from FMP's other server) but not when
Mailman and this list were running on on the same host as the mail
server handling my personal SMTP service.  I don't know if I've
fine-tuned SpamAssassin on the new host box either.  That's a
substantial job!

So again, heartfelt thanks to Mark for pointing me in the right
direction.  This is one of the reasons I like open source software :)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works if you let it"
FMP Computer Services |