[Mailman-Users] mailman logs, mail flow into/out of mailman
harrison at utm.edu
Wed Sep 24 17:57:48 CEST 2014
Thanks! Let me work thru this and I'll email with any specific questions.
From: Mailman-Users [mailto:mailman-users-bounces+harrison=utm.edu at python.org] On Behalf Of Mark Sapiro
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:50 AM
To: mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mailman logs, mail flow into/out of mailman
On 09/24/2014 07:34 AM, Bruce Harrison wrote:
> Have had to do some tracking of mailman activity for management. I'm familiar with the mailman logs, web server access_log, and linux sendmail logs.
> Is there any place where the flow of mail into and out of mailman, along with when log entries are made, documented anywhere?
There is some documentation at the front of Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py, but it's not exactly what you're looking for.
Here's a brief summary (perhaps a new FAQ is called for).
1) A message arrives addressed to the list posting address. The incoming MTA puts it in qfiles/in/ or whatever the incoming queue is named. This is normally logged in the MTA logs.
2) IncomingRunner (Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py) picks up the queue entry and processes the message through a series of handlers
(Mailman/Handlers/*.py) as defined by GLOBAL_PIPELINE or the list's pipeline attribute if any.
3) Any handler can hold, reject or discard the message. These events are normally logged in Mailman's vette log. If the message is rejected or discarded, we're done. If it is held, see below. Otherwise the message is passed to the next handler in the pipeline.
4) Eventually the message passes through the ToDigest handler which adds it to the list's digest.mbox and my trigger a digest on size; the ToArchive handler which queues it in the archive queue for ArchRunner; the ToUsenet handler which may queue it in the news queue for NewsRunner; the Acknowledge handler which sends an acknowledgement to the poster if the poster's option is set, and the ToOutgoing handler which queues it in the out queue for OutgoingRunner which delivers the post and writes the 'post' and 'smtp' and maybe ''smtp-failure' log entries.
5) Messages which are held can be handled by the admindb web UI or via email. In any case, disposition is generally logged in the 'vette' log and if the message is approved, it is processed through the remainder of the pipeline following the handler that held it.
6) Any handler could write to the 'error' log.
Let me know if you want more detail on any of this.
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
Mailman-Users mailing list Mailman-Users at python.org https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users
Mailman FAQ: http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3 Security Policy: http://wiki.list.org/x/QIA9 Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
More information about the Mailman-Users