[Mailman-Users] I'd prefer clients had collapsing features, not top-post; do away with mailing list digests

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Apr 2 21:57:15 CEST 2015

On 4/2/2015 2:18 PM, Mike Starr <mike at writestarr.com> wrote:
> I'm a top-poster and not ashamed of it. If I'm following a message
> thread, I remember the discussion and don't want to have to scroll
> through a weeks worth of responses just to get to the new content.

This would only happen if you blindly quoted the entire message.

Not ONE 'bottom poster' (inline is more correct term) would EVER suggest
doing that, but I do know more than one top-poster who refuses to
acknowledge this, and submits the same tired INVALID argument as a
reason to support their laziness.

> In this response (using Thunderbird), I highlighted the text I wanted to
> respond to before clicking *Reply List* and Thunderbird only included
> the highlighted text

Been doing this for many, many years (ever since TB enabled the feature).

> below this response. That puts the pertinent content right below my reply.

When it belongs above it...

But whatever, I stopped caring much a long, long time ago when I
realized top-posters will never get it simply because they don't want to.