[Mailman-Users] I'd prefer clients had collapsing features, not top-post; do away with mailing list digests

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 3 13:55:44 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 08:09:12PM -0700, David Benfell wrote:

> The consensus on most technical lists I've seen is very strongly in
> favor of bottom posting,

Surely not. Bottom-posting is, if anything, worse than top-posting. With
top-posting at least you get to see the reply[1] at the top of
the post, and can delete it and move on with your life. With bottom-
posting you have to scroll past seven pages of quoted text before you
get to see their reply.

> with top-posters subject to flaming. But
> outside that world, I find top-posting to be the norm. I agree with
> the logic of bottom-posting, because it is--well--logical, but cannot
> hope to prevail.

Perhaps you mean interleaved or inline posting, as I've done here?

[1] Often one line. On technical lists, that's often "Works for me." On
non-technical lists, "Me too!".

--
Steve