[Mailman-Users] Help with munge settongs

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 6 09:38:40 CEST 2015

On 04/05/2015 11:11 PM, Rafael Salasnik wrote:
> Have had problems with DMARC bounces. Upgraded to 2.1.18  but still
> having problems. Am still unsure what the settings should be on lists
> where it should show its come from the individual poster.
>
> Can someone give me all the appropriate various settings.

For the minimum disruption set General Options -> from_is_list to No and
set Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action to
either Munge From or Wrap Message. Follow the General Options ->
(Details for from_is_list) link for a description of what these 2
actions do and decide which you and your user's prefer. Wrap Message is
more standards compliant because it preserves the original author's
address if the From: of the wrapped message and essentially forwards it
as an attachment. However, many users, especially those with iOS mobile
devices, don't like it.

In either case, the original message if munged or outer message if
wrapped will be From: "original display name via list name
<list-address>" and the original From: will be merged into any Reply-To:
or will just be the  Reply-To: if there otherwise wouldn't be one. (In
2.1.19, it's put in Cc: to make reply/reply-all more consistent with
their behavior on unaltered messages, although that's only when
reply_goes_to_list is not Poster.

Set Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action as desired.

If you prefer to treat all posts equally regardless of the DMARC policy
of the From: domain, set from_is_list to the desired action.

I initially used from_is_list because I was afraid certain individuals
with Yahoo mail accounts would complain about being singled out, but I
ultimately went to dmarc_moderation_action and got no complaints.

I use dmarc_moderation_action = Mung From (I tried Wrap Message first -
I really wanted to go that way - but I got too many complaints. It's an
individual thing. Others with the same or similar devices thought it was
OK, but several complained)

The biggest issue I have with Munge From is with one heavy user whose
MUA doesn't properly handle Reply-To: (and also doesn't add References:
or In-Reply-To: and breaks threading in my MUA, but that's an unrelated
issue).