[Mailman-Users] I'd prefer clients had collapsing features, not top-post; do away with mailing list digests

Mike Starr mike at writestarr.com
Thu Apr 9 22:45:31 CEST 2015

And we can all say that our preferred method is the Platonic ideal of
email replies but out there in the world, most users go with the default
reply location set up in their email client (some of which default to
top posting and some of which default to bottom posting) and if there's
trimming being done, it's usually done by the email client (web or
desktop), not the user. At least with top posting, I don't have to
scroll through an entire digest to see the actual content of the reply.
I got one like that today (a reply to a 15-message digest) and since I
was already paying attention to the conversation there was no need for
me to scroll whatsoever.

I'm promoting top-posting with trimming; you're promoting bottom posting
with trimming. You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to. Neither one of us is
right, neither one of us is wrong. We each have our preferences and if
we each adhere to the approach we prefer, everything's fine. What we
can't do is flog the uninformed users into obedience (oh how I wish we
could). And tanstaafl, here's your free lunch... I put in an unnecessary
CR/LF between paragraphs so you won't have an issue with reading my
response <grin>.

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr, Writer
Technical Writer   -    Online Help Developer   -   WordPress Websites