[Mailman-Users] Cron command?

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Tue Apr 21 16:24:02 CEST 2015

Your old notes are incorrect.  First, the proper command on modern Unix
or Unix-ish systems such as Linux is simply:

sudo crontab -e -u mailman

Copy and paste the crontab provided with Mailman in the ~mailman/cron
directory into the edit window opened by this command.

The crontab provided with Mailman in ~mailman/cron/crontab.in is not in
the proper format for use in /etc/cron.d/ so a direct copy of the
Mailman crontab to this directory can't be done without modifying the
file.  The directory /etc/cron.d/ is Debian-specific (which includes
Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu and Mint) and a direct copy to cron's
spool directory, /var/spool/cron/, is advised against in the cron man
page.  It's best to go through the UI provided by crontab and use your
CLI editor (vim, pico, emacs or whatever) to manage the crontab.

See the man page for cron(8) and crontab(1)

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 11:56 +0300, Danil Smirnov wrote:
> Check if you already have /etc/cron.d/mailman, if not just
>
> cp /opt/local/share/mailman/cron/crontab.in /etc/cron.d/mailman
>
> with sufficient rights.

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently updated and my digests stopped going out (I was able to push out
> > the waiting digest manually by doing
> > /opt/local/share/mailman/cron/senddigests so I know the function is
> > working).  My old notes tell me the command for cron is:
> >
> > sudo /opt/local/share/mailman/cron/crontab -u mailman crontab.in
> >
> > I also tried
> >
> > sudo /opt/local/share/mailman/cron -u mailman crontab.in
> >
> > since that appears to be the current location of crontab.in
> >
> > but that's getting me 'command not found' and
> >
> >       cron: illegal option -- u
> >
> >      usage: cron [-s] [-o] [-x debugflag[,...]]
> >
> >      debugflags: ext sch proc pars load misc test bit
> >
> > Any ideas on this?

Lindsay Haisley       | "The only unchanging certainty
FMP Computer Services |    is the certainty of change"
512-259-1190          |
http://www.fmp.com    | - Ancient wisdom, all cultures