[Mailman-Users] packages vs sources (was: Cron command?)

Danil Smirnov danil at smirnov.la
Tue Apr 21 19:37:30 CEST 2015

> This is a packager thing (RHEL/CentOS ?). Mailman as distributed by the
> GNU Mailman project does not do this (never did). Our docs are
> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node41.html> and recommend
> installing our crontab as a user crontab with the crontab command.

>> The bottom line is that it's best, as always, to install a component
>> such as a crontab using the supplied tools rather trying to second-guess
>> the tool set and copying files directly.
>
> +1

Many people rely on their distribution packagers - is this bad?

I always prefer to use yum/apt-get instead of compiling software from source.
The reasons are obvious (all they are in any package system mission statement).

Mailman is one of the few exception of this rule on my servers because of
importance of its new versions and rare packages updates. :(
(It's shame that they include 2.1.15 in the new Centos7 distribution!)

But if we 'use supplied tools' and lost distribution integration - like
removing cron entries automatically when 'service mailman stop' -
does this make sense at all?

Danil