[Mailman-Users] Somebody could not subscribe to pypy-dev at python.org

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 22 01:31:46 CEST 2015

On 04/21/2015 03:55 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> but apparantly can only subscribe if he leaves the password field blank.
>
> It is, of course, working just fine for me.

And it has nothing to do with the password being blank.

>>> Upon hitting the ŒSubscribe¹ form button, the browser goes to
>>> https://mail.python.org/mailman/subscribe/pypy-dev
>>> with the response HTML containing:
>>> <h1>pypy-dev Subscription results</h1>You must GET the form before
>>> submitting it.

This says that the form he's submitting either is not the form at
<https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/pypy-dev> or he got (http GET)
the form either more than 1 hour before or less than 5 seconds before
submitting it.

This is because of the fix for
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1082746>. The feature is
described at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/NEWS>,
lines 497-505 and was implemented for the python.org lists with the
recent 2.1.19 upgrade.

There are a number of recent POST requests to
<https://mail.python.org/mailman/subscribe/pypy-dev> in the logs at
mail.python.org, so I can't absolutely confirm the scenario, but I
suspect it went something like this:

1) POST an old form with a password and get the error.

still get the error

3) reget a fresh listinfo page, fill in and submit the form, this time
with no password and it works, not because no password, but because it
was a fresh form.