[Mailman-Users] Icons, email and list creation oh my!

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 23 18:53:23 CEST 2015

On 04/23/2015 08:45 AM, Dr. Mikeal Hughes wrote:
> The page is www.biblematters.net

Are you saying that is the page on which you found "an old help screen
in the mailman home page"?

I can't even access that page - 403.

>> On Apr 23, 2015, at 10:41, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/23/2015 05:52 AM, Dr. Mikeal Hughes wrote:
>>> 1. The icons are
>>> not showing up on the bottom of the Web pages. I went to an old help
>>> screen in the mailman home page to find it out dated.
>>

>> Please provide the URL of this page so I can fix it if it's wrong or
>> misleading.
>>

>>> I typed in the
>>> directory /usr/local/apache/icons to the merriment of no such file or
>>> directory. Ok that must have been for apache 1 or something. So I
>>> need to find out where the icons are located now and where I need to
>>> put them for mailman to pick them up.
>>

>> The Icons are in Mailman's misc/ directory. Where you have to copy them
>> is to the directory Apache looks in for /icons/ URLs. Check your Apache
>> config.
>>
> I don’t have an Apache.config. Or can’t locate it. I think it is running under the bible matters.net.conf file.

In Debian/Ubuntu, your apache config is the files in /etc/apache2
including apache2.conf, conf-available/*, conf.d/*, mods-available/* and
sites-available/*

You probably have /etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf containing
Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/" which says
/usr/share/apache2/icons/ is where you should put the mailman.jpg,
PythonPowered.png and gnu-head-tiny.jpg files assuming you haven't
changed the Defaults.py

IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/'

setting by overriding it with something else in mm_cfg.py.