[Mailman-Users] Permissions error on all Mailman overnights

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sat Aug 8 17:12:18 CEST 2015

Every night, I get the following error at the bottom of a mail message
to my mailman list telling me that checkdbs, digest and disabled
failed:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/usr/local/mailman/locks/mailman.lock.{my-FQDN}.{some-number}.0'

This also happened on the one and only password reminder message that
went out over a week ago, which no one received.

{some-number} is presumably the process ID of the job's process.

Here are descriptions of the locks directory on the old and new
systems--i.e., the one that works, and the one with the job failures.
The old system is Debian 4, from 2009, which has not received any
software upgrades since 2010. 'list' is the name of the Mailman user
and group. The locks directory, /var/lib/mailman/locks, is defined
thus:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-05-01 02:31 locks -> ../../lock/mailman
drwxrwxrwt 4 root root 4096 2015-08-08 02:56 lock
drwxrwsr-x 2 root list 4096 2015-08-08 12:00 mailman

On the new Fedora 20 system with hand-built Mailman up to date,
'mailman' is its username and group, and the locks directory,
/usr/local/mailman/locks, is defined thus:

drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Aug  8 14:37 locks

The new system's permissions don't define the locks directory as
temporary, although at this very moment there are files in
it--master-qrunner, and master-qrunner.{my-FQDN}.{some-number}, both
of which have *tomorrow's* dates on them. ???

I'm thinking the locks directory may be at fault here, and if it is,
what was done wrong when Mailman was built or configured? This is
important not just because the mail system is not running correctly at
this time, but because I will be installing a second instance of
Mailman to support a new domain I'll be hosting, so I'm thinking
whatever I did wrong the first time will happen again, unless I
prevent it.

As always, thanks in advance for assistance.