[Mailman-Users] No luck on the overnights

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 12 03:28:59 CEST 2015

On 08/11/2015 06:12 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
> I'm now thinking none of the overnight cron jobs are running. I set
> digest mode to a couple lists, posted to them, then modified the
> digest job's run time from 12:00 every day to a minute or two from
> current time, waited ten minutes, and got nothing in response. Then I
> did the same for the monthly password reminder job. Same thing--no
> response. I'm thinking the best way to find out what's going on is to
> log into the mailman account interactively and manually run one of the
> cron commands to find out what happens. Any other suggestions most
> welcome. Probably whatever's wrong with one job is wrong with them
> all.

You can run a mailman cron just the way cron runs it by

sudo -u mailman python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/xxx

where xxx is the cron job you want to run.

Note that if cron runs the job and it produces any output, it is mailed
to the 'mailman' user which in most cases is the Mailman site list.
Thus, to see this, you need to ensure that you are a member of the site
list with delivery enabled and that the site list's
generic_nonmember_action is accept.

The alternative is to add

MAILTO=you at your.domain

to the beginning of Mailman's crontab to tell cron to mail any output to
you instead of 'mailman'.