[Mailman-Users] Moving MM2 to a new server (revisited).

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 15 02:13:51 CEST 2015

On 08/14/2015 05:38 AM, Tom Browder wrote:

> Question:
> =======
>
> Is is necessary to restart Apache2, Postfix, and MM2 on the old server
> in order to recover the undelivered mail, or can I somehow magically
> copy files to the new server before that effort.  Note I haven't yet
> looked at the logs on the old server.

No. You shouldn't need to start the web server, mail server or Mailman
on the old server.

What you do need to do depends on where this undelivered mail is. There
are 4 possibilities - queued in Postfix to be delivered to Mailman, in
Mailman's qfiles/in queue waiting to be processed by Mailman, in some
combination of Mailman's qfiles/out and qfiles/retry queues waiting to
be delivered to Postfix or queued in Postfix for delivery to list members.

As far as Mailman's queues are concerned, you should be able to just
move the qfiles/*/*.pck files to the new server AFTER moving the
lists/*/config.pck files.

As far as Postfix is concerned, it should be possible to move those
queue entries too, but it's probably easier to start Postfix on the old
server and let it deliver outbound mail if any and queue inbound mail if
any in Mailman's qfiles/in before you move it.

There may also be Mailman held messages. For these, you need to move the
data/heldmsg* files to the new server and either move the
lists/*/request.pck files or use a script like
<https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/hold_again> to reprocess the
data/heldmsg* files.