[Mailman-Users] Restricting access to the pipermail archives

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:42:20 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> Billy Crook writes:
>
>  > Any reason I should keep pipermail's config in apache around if I don't
>  > want the list archives viewable anonymously?
>
> Mailman doesn't serve HTTP, Apache does.  The Apache config is what
> makes them viewable on the web.  If you expect them to be viewable to
> subscribers, you need the config.  If you don't want *anybody* viewing
> them, no need for the config.  (I wonder why you keep archives in
> Mailman at all in that case, though.)

There were two parts that I see in mailman's apache config:
        ScriptAlias /mailman/       /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
        <Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
                AllowOverride None
                Options ExecCGI
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

The part above, I expect to need to keep.
The part below here, is what I think I can just remove since I don't
want public archives provided via pipermail.  (Just private archives
via the mailman path.)

        Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
        <Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
                Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
                AddDefaultCharset Off