[Mailman-Users] ISO speciific RegExp to filter/discard bot subscribe requests

Nelson Kelly nelsonkelly446 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 11:06:26 CEST 2015

On 8/29/2015 5:53 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 08/27/2015 02:49 AM, Nelson Kelly wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend an example of a RegExp entry which would
>> prevent/solve this dilemma?
>
> Yes.
>
> ^.*\+\d{3,}@
>
> See
> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2015-August/079668.html> for
> a bit more.

Inserted the above recommended RegExp string into the ban_list, and
within minutes subscribe request bot spam began showing up in the mod
queue.

All the new spams appear to be of a slightly different format from which
I described in the OP.

blahblah+blah-blah-blah-blah-12345678 at gmail.com
blah_12_34+blah-blah-blah-blah-12345678 at hotmail.com

Indeed I need to learn how to generate my own Regular Expressions. But
until then I'll rely on your advice. I can post the actual list of spam
addresses if that is preferred. Thanks.