[Mailman-Users] feature request

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Dec 9 12:21:38 EST 2015

Keith Bierman writes:
 > Probably betrays my ignorance of the OP's needs, but I'd have thought:
 >
 > 1) tracking who joins is more interesting than those leaving

That depends.  In many organizational settings monitoring certain
channels is part of the job of certain people.  And of course there's
the "emergency list" use case mentioned by Steven.

 > 2) client side filtering (including automated discarding) allows the
 > administrators to save their sanity ...

Some people just don't get it, though, and they're sometimes very
competent in their own areas, too.  And some filtering is just plain
hard.  Eg, I have a couple of committee chairs who think it is a good
idea to emphasize the importance of college-level list traffic related
to their committee work, that comes on lists we're all subscribed to,
by forwarding them to everybody in the department -- I'd like to
spambucket them based on list serial numbers, but sometimes there is
actual content in the forward (especially dangerous is the occasional
gloss like "this means you, Prof. Turnbull" -- since these messages
are written in Japanese, that's actually more helpful than annoying :-).