[Mailman-Users] Many users unsubscribed at once (not by me)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Dec 12 17:04:55 EST 2015

On 12/12/2015 01:46 PM, Hal wrote:
> Today I received 18 unsubscribe notification mesages, each one telling
> me that "name at addr.ess has been removed from my_list_name".
> They all appear to have been sent simultaneously, and since I (the list
> adminisistrator) haven't performed the unsubscribe request myself I
> suspect either some sort of automated request by the Mailman software or
> someone hacking into the system.

If they were sent at 09:00 server time (that's the default, but it could
be different) They were almost certainly unsubscribes done by Mailman's
cron/disabled job.

This is a part of Mailman's automated bounce processing.

> The only thing I can think of apart from someone hacking into the
> list-server is that Mailman automatically removes members who have
> non-working addresses after a certain amount of list postings. Could
> this be it, or am I right to be worried and should contact the server
> owner to ask if an intrusion has shown up on the logs?

You should review the settings (and Details links) in your list's web
admin Bounce processing section.

Beyond that, if 18 members were unsubscribed at once it is likely that
the bounces that caused their delivery to be disabled and them to
ultimately be removed were due to something other that the addresses
being invalid, e.g., DMARC or possibly some network issue.

See the FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>.