[Mailman-Users] Moderated approval via email

Adrian Pepper arpepper at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 21 15:24:05 EST 2015

I struggled with this problem until I unearthed this gem from the archive.
In addition we were using aliases as moderators, so I thought that was the
key problem, but subsequent testing suggests there is no such restriction.
Is that correct?  So it is alright to use an alias as list administrator
or moderator, but moderator recipients must simply know the "trick" of
replying to the contained message, not the overall message.

I usually use an "heirloom-mailx"-like MUA and I assumed it was not smart
enough to generate correct headers.  But now I'm reasonably sure I could
create a working response to the sub-message in a number of ways.

I have a means to save a message into a mailbox where I can view it with
Thunderbird on my workstation.  But I don't really use Thunderbird much,
mostly just to look at messages heavy with graphics and other noise.
Took me a while to work out that you need to "Open all attachments"
(somewhat hidden in a non-obvious menu, and there didn't seem to be a
selective option) which would give you a window you could reply to.
And voila!  I finally managed to get that pending posting to disappear!
And after I removed my email address from both owner and moderator
boxes, I still seemed to be able to dicard another pending posting.

I struggled so long with this I thought I'd post my dumpster diving
and added observations in case it helped anyone else.  I didn't find
anything like the following in a FAQ.

     Note also, that this moderation message is a multipart/mixed message
     and the part that says "If you reply to this message, keeping the
     Subject: header intact ..." is it's own message/rfc822 part and it's
     that message part you must reply to with the Approved: <password>
     line, not the "outer" message.

Perhaps mention of this should be added.  My apologies if it's already
there and my web and keyword searches overlooked it.

Now I know what to look for, I find more recent coverage on the list.
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg64564.html
(May 2014)

Adrian.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net wrote Thu Feb 10 01:58:46 CET 2005