[Mailman-Users] Sending a File

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 1 03:14:37 CET 2015

On 01/31/2015 04:55 PM, David Andrews wrote:
> With Mailman, is there a way to have all subscribers to a list sent a
> file, when they subscribe.  Automatically, of course.  I have a list
> where the moderator has text he wants new subscribers to receive, but it
> seems a little long to me, for the Welcome message.

You have a few choices.  Actually including the file as an attachment to
the list welcome message or as a separate  message all together would
not be hard, but would require code modification, and doing it
generically would require a new list attribute for the message.

So, you can put it in the list's info which is added to the web listinfo
page or put it on the web somewhere and link to it from the list's info
(HTML tags work here), and the put something in the welcome_msg text
that emphasizes they should go to the listinfo page (a URL is already in
the message) and read it or follow the link to it.

Or, just put it in welcome_msg. If you're going to mail it to them
anyway, what's the difference unless you feel it will distract them from
other important stuff in the welcome message in which case, put it on
the web and put a URL in welcome_msg.