[Mailman-Users] encoding of bin/script output

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 5 02:14:02 CET 2015

On 02/04/2015 12:18 PM, Danil Smirnov wrote:
> It seems I forgot to type my question:
> how could I force bin scripts to change encoding of their output?

You can't. You say "output of bin scripts depends on $LANG environment
variable". I don't think that's correct. I think it depends, in those
cases where it isn't English only, on Mailman's setting for
DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE.

In any case Mailman has a character encoding for each language it knows
and it always uses that encoding. For Russian, this encoding is koi8-r
because that is the encoding that was used when the Russian translation
was first developed.

If you think the encoding should be utf-8, you can change it for your
own site by putting

add_language('ru', 'Russian', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

in mm_cfg.py and recoding all of templates/ru/* and the
messages/ru/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po file to utf-8 and regenerating the
messages/ru/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo file.

If you want us to change it for a future release, file a bug at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug> and try to make a good
argument for it.