[Mailman-Users] Admin Requests Not Working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 5 06:40:29 CET 2015

On 02/04/2015 05:25 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> Well, I thought the requests had disappeared but I was wrong. I'm not
> sure why they seemed to be gone other than operator error. In any case I
> searched through the logs and found nothing except this:
>
> 192.168.0.102 - - [02/Feb/2015:15:51:30 -0500] "POST
> /mailman/admindb/mailman HTTP/1.1" 302 222 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
> 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0"
>
> Which is perfectly normal. I guess I need to turn on some kind of debug
> to see what this thing is doing. Thanks.

When you go to the admindb page for the list, look at the exact URL of
the page in the address bar. Then depending on what you actually do,
i.e. accept/reject/discard message(s) from the summary page or go to a
detail link and accept/reject/discard message(s) from there, look at the
exact URL of any other pages in the address bar and also look at the
source of all the pages you visit for the URLs in action= elements in
form tags and the URLs in links you visit.

Do all these have the exact same host name (relative actions/links are
the same host as that of the URL of the page and are OK) and scheme? You
are looking for anything different, i.e. a different host or scheme
(http vs. https).

One common way this occurs is the form action on an https page is an
http url which gets redirected by the web server to https. The redirect
loses the POST data. This is covered in the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/4030602> but you may have missed it.

If you need more than that, you'll have to add debug logging to
Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py such as

after

def main():
    global ssort                     <- you may not have this line
    # Figure out which list is being requested
    parts = Utils.GetPathPieces()

add

    for p in parts:
        syslog('debug', 'Part from Utils.GetPathPieces(): %s', p)

and after

    # Make sure the user is authorized to see this page.
    cgidata = cgi.FieldStorage(keep_blank_values=1)

add

    for k, v in cgidata.items():
        syslog('debug', 'cgidata: %s: %s', k, v)

This will write entries to a 'debug' log in Mailman's logs/ directory
(or /var/log/mailman/debug in RHEL/CentOS) and you can then see if the
script is actually getting the things it should be getting.