[Mailman-Users] Internationalisation bug in 2.1.15

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 6 19:21:09 CET 2015

On 02/06/2015 09:34 AM, Laura Creighton wrote:
> Recently Tin Tvrtković tried to subscribe to the pypy-dev mailing list.
>
> He got the "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.15 We're sorry, we hit a bug!" message.
> When he tried to reply to the confirmation message, he got it again.
>
> It looks like it could possibly be this 10 year old bug that Mark was
> unable to reproduce at the time ....
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/266223

I don't think so. That specific traceback occurred in logging the held
subscription request to the vette log, but only the email address is
logged, not the real name.

> but we don't have a traceback, so maybe not.

Why not? There should be tracebacks in Mailman's error log.

> We can reproduce the problem all we like; it is with the last character
> in Tin's name, which is  U+0107.  Tin is Croatian, so I assume that is what
> his character set is on his machine, but I get this here, too.  pypy-dev
> is configured with a default lanaguage of English(USA).

I cannot reproduce this in Mailman 2.1.19, and I don't think there's
been any change in this area since 2.1.15.

I was able to request subscription and confirm the request bug free on
an English language list. Here's the resulting Userdesc instance from
the subscribe request.

>>> u.__dict__
{'fullname': u'Tin Tvrtkovi\u0107', 'password': 'z', 'language': 'en',
'digest': 0, 'address': 'mark at ms2.msapiro.net'}

I also tried subscribing the email address Tvrtković@ms2.msapiro.net and got

Subscription results
Your subscription is not allowed because the email address you gave is
insecure.

In order to go further with this, I need to see the full Mailman error
log entry for the "bug". Can you provide it?