[Mailman-Users] Mailman CGI error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 23 19:10:55 CET 2015

On 02/23/2015 01:38 AM, Kumar Pradeep (Ops) wrote:

> As you have asked this question “- do you get this error on any of
> Mailman's CGIs or just when you do an archive search?”
>

> Ans: Yes I get the “Mailman CGI error!!!” when I do an archive search.

That is not the answer to the question I asked. I know you get the error
on an archive search. What I am asking is do you get the same group
mismatch error when visiting other Mailman CGI URLs such as
http://mymailman.com/mailman/listinfo/testlist or
http://mymailman.com/mailman/admin/testlist?

> When I changed the permission of mmsearch in /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
> , I got below error as a Bug.
>

> from
>
> -rwxr-sr-x 1 root mailman 23096 Jan  8 02:30 mmsearch

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root apache  23096 Jan  8 02:30 mmsearch

This is because all the wrappers in /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/ must be
in Mailman's group and SETGID. I.e. the original group and permissions
were correct, the changed ones are wrong. This is not the cause of your
group mismatch error.

> Can you please suggest the current stable version on Mailman?

Mailman 2.1.19rc3 is fairly stable. 2.1.19 final will be released within
a week. See <http://www.list.org/>.

Note that you are using Richard Barrett's archive search patches. There
is a set of these for Mailman 2.1.18-1 at
<http://www.msapiro.net/mm/index_htdig.patch.2.1.18> (mirrored at
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/mm/index_htdig.patch.2.1.18>). When 2.1.19
final is released, a 2.1.19 version of the patches will be put in the
same directories.

Also, please read <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030645> for more
understanding of group mismatch errors.

After you restore the group and permissions on
/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/mmsearch, what are the results of

sudo -u apache /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/mmsearch

and

sudo -u mailman /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/mmsearch

Based on what you have posted so far, I think that running the command
as 'apache' will produce a 'we hit a bug' message and running the
command as 'mailman' will produce a group mismatch error. Is this the
case? If not, what do you see?

Also try it replacing 'mmsearch' with 'listinfo' and report those results.