[Mailman-Users] Changing name of mailman list that I own

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Jan 15 12:02:11 CET 2015

On Wednesday 14 January 2015 18:16:22 Mark Sapiro wrote:

> > Can I change the name of a list if I am list-owner?
> > (But I am not the system administrator.)
>
> No. You can change the list's real_name attribute, but only so it
> differs only in case from the list's internal name. E.g. If the list is
> junklist, its real_name could be any of junklist, JunkList, JUNKlist,
> etc., but not even Junk_List would be allowed. This is the only change
> you can make.
>
> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mYA9>.

Thanks for your response.

I should have made clear that I don't want to save any data from the old list.
The old list was concerned with a course I gave 2 years ago,
and the new list is for a course I am giving at present.

I thought that instead of removing the old list
and creating a new one, I could just change the name of the old list,
delete the list of members, and insert the new members.

I did look at the FAQ, but that seemed to be concerned
with passing on the data from the old list to the new,
which as I said I don't want to do.

So it seems the simplest thing to do is to get my sysadmin
to create a new list, and delete the old one.
(I do actually have superuser privileges on the system,
but am not sure of the finer details of creating a new list,
as the system is running under FreeBSD, with mmdf MTA,
and I am not familiar with these.)

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net