[Mailman-Users] Customize Notifications

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 16 06:19:20 CET 2015

On 01/14/2015 06:09 AM, Levy, Lawrence - Technology & Product
Engineering <Lawrence.Levy at timeinc.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to customize the following notifications and how I would go about doing so.

Many notifications are created from templates. See the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9> for instructions on creating list
specific, domain specific or sitewide edited templates. See the base
templates in Mailman's templates/en/ directory to find specific ones.

> *         Subscription email

I'm not sure which you are referring to here. If you mean the list
welcome message, this template is subscribeack.txt. This is also one of
a few templates that can be edited for a specific list by following the
"Edit the public HTML pages and text files" -> "Welcome email text file"
links in the list's web admin UI.

If you mean the confirmation request sent to a user who's requested
subscription, that one is verify.txt

> *         Password reminders

The header for monthly reminders is cronpass.txt. The on-demand reminder
is userpass.txt.

> *         Moderator message

Which one(s).

  Message                     template

Bounce notifications         bounce.txt
n moderator requests         checkdbs.txt
individual held post         postauth.txt
subscription authorization   subauth.txt
unsubscription authorization unsubauth.txt

There are other messages that are built totally from strings in the
code. Also, the Subject: headers for the ones built from templates are
also strings in the code.

For non-English languages, one can modify the translation in the
language's messages/<language-code>/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po file and
recompile the corresponding mailman.mo.

For English, one can create a messages/en/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po file
containing as "translations" the modified versions of the strings one
wants to change and compile that. You need some familiarity with
i18n/l10n and tools like msgfmt in order to do this.