[Mailman-Users] Diagnosing command failures

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jan 19 17:09:40 CET 2015

At Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:10:32 -0500 ghmerrill at chathamdesign.com wrote:

> Is there any technique to diagnose precisely why/how a particular (email)
> command to a list has failed?
>

> I have a user (a SINGLE user, so far as I know) who cannot get the list of
> members by using the 'who <password>' command.  He successfully gets his
> password with the 'password' command, but the 'who' command fails.
>

> This user is VERY difficult to work with since he is elderly, sloppy in how
> he does things, and is often confused by instructions or requests for
> information.  He successfully uses the list for communications.  I'm very
> confident that he is either using the wrong password (we in fact determined
> that at one point - which took a lot of effort) or is typing in his password
> incorrectly.  But short of physically sitting down with him at this point, I
> don't know what else to do.

It sounds like issues relating to upper/lower case letters and confusing zero
and oh (0 vs o/O) and one and el (1 vs l).

Question:  is there some *specific* reason he wants/needs the list of members?
Most of the time, random list members have no need for a member listing.

> Mailman must have a failure/error log of some sort for each list, does it
> not?  How can I see exactly why this user's command is failing?  The
> information in the failure messages to the user (when I can get him to
> forward these) is uninformative.

> Gary H. Merrill
>
> Chatham Design Consultants
>
> +1 919.271.7259

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933