[Mailman-Users] Diagnosing command failures

Gary Merrill ghmerrill at chathamdesign.com
Wed Jan 21 03:59:47 CET 2015

The suggestions you've offered have been tried (at this point multiple
times).  I was really asking whether there is a way to diagnose command
failures in Mailman, and it's clear at this point that the answer is "No."
This isn't entirely unexpected, but I just wanted to check in case there
happened to be something that I'd missed.

A "diagnosis" of

> Error
> LISTNAME roster authentication failed.

is like the diagnoses you used to see in old compilers that would helpfully
inform you of "Syntax error"  or "Invalid expression"  (sometimes without
even a line number).  One wonders why anyone would ever write a utility with
that sort of "error reporting", but it was quite fashionable for years.
Mostly it came from developers writing things for themselves rather than for
people who would use their products -- or for people whom the developers
thought were like themselves, who mostly didn't make mistakes, and who were
man enough not to need diagnostics when they did.  Those were the days when
men were men.  Whatever.  It is what it is.

Personal consultation and observation appears to be the only approach here
that will be successful.

Gary H. Merrill
Chatham Design Consultants
+1 919.271.7259