[Mailman-Users] Help Request Returning Nothing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jan 25 02:24:27 CET 2015

On 01/24/2015 04:16 PM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> I've recently muddled through a migration to a new server and struggled
> with setting up a custom URL for templates. However, in trying to set up
> the URL on a previously working "help.txt", I've apparently fouled
> something up. I now get the correct URL but little else. A help request
> is returning the following:

> The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your

This means your original message had more than just a single text/plain
part, probably it was multipart/alternative with both text/plain and
text/html alternatives. This should be OK.

>     You can access your personal options via the following url:
>     https://myhost.mydomain.com/mailman/options/cufsalumni/dap1%40bellsouth.net

This is generated by the 'help' command processor, so you got that far.

>     help
>     Help

And this seems to indicate either Mailman/Commands/cmd_help.py or your
help.txt template is corrupted.

Look for a file named help.txt in the following places if they exist:

1) lists/LISTNAME/en/ where LISTNAME is the name of the list you sent
the request to
2) templates/DOMAIN/en/ where DOMAIN is the domain of the list
3) templates/site/en/
4) templates/en/

The first help.txt template found is the one being used. What does it
contain?