[Mailman-Users] Archiving problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 27 06:27:54 CET 2015

On 01/26/2015 09:12 PM, Bill Christensen wrote:

> All the archives work when in private state.  But I had to manually
> change the owner of all the publicly available list archives to _www in
> private in order for them to be readable.  Otherwise they get a big
> "Forbidden" message.  Should *all* the lists be _www? Everything in
> archives/private, or just the archive folders and not the mbox folders?
> The archives/private folder itself is already _www.
>
> Thanks for your continued tolerance and assistance.

For public archives to work, the web server needs to be able to search
the archives/private directory that the archives/public/ symlinks point
into.

Normally this only requires that the archives/private/ directory itself,
not any subordinates, be either o+x or owned by the web server user. The
subordinate LISTNAME and LISTNAME.mbox directories are normally
rwxrwsr-x and Mailman's group so Mailman can read and write them and
subordinates will be created in Mailman's group and the web server can
read and search them.

It's only archives/private itself which is in Mailman's group and either
rwxrws--x or if rwxrws---, owned by the web server user. Otherwise,
ownership doesn't matter.

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node9.html>.