[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.19 release
mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 30 06:58:27 CET 2015
I am pleased to announce the first release candidate for Mailman 2.1.19.
Python 2.4 is the minimum supported, but Python 2.7 is recommended.
This release has several new features, some newly implemented and some
backported from the now truly defunct 2.2 branch - there is nothing left
in that branch that isn't in this release.
There are also bug fixes.
See the attached README for more details.
Associated with those changes are many things that have i18n impacts
including new and modified strings in the message catalog, a new
adminaddrchgack.txt template and a minor change to the
I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in translations of Mailman
to get this release and help with updating the translations.
I plan to release the final 2.1.19 release at the end of February, and
it would be good to have as many i18n updates as possible by then.
Mailman is free software for managing email mailing lists and
e-newsletters. Mailman is used for all the python.org and
SourceForge.net mailing lists, as well as at hundreds of other sites.
For more information, please see:
Mailman 2.1.19rc1 can be downloaded from
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
-------------- next part --------------
2.2 Branch Backports (released in conjunction with 2.1.19rc1)
The following New Features and Bug Fixes have been in an "unofficial,
never to be released" Mailman 2.2 branch for several years. Until now,
they were never implemented on the official 2.1 branch because of their
i18n impacts. Given that there have been a number of i18n impacting
changes due to DMARC mitigations in the last few releases, it has been
decided to backport these as well.
All of these changes have been running in production on several lists
for years without problems other than untranslated strings, so they should
be reasonably "bug free".
- There is a new list attribute 'subscribe_auto_approval' which is a list
of email addresses and regular expressions matching email addresses
whose subscriptions are exempt from admin approval. (LP: #266609)
- Confirmed member change of address is logged in the 'subscribe' log,
and if admin_notify_mchanges is true, a notice is sent to the list
owner using a new adminaddrchgack.txt template.
- Added an 'automate' option to bin/newlist to send the notice to the
admin without the prompt.
- The processing of Topics regular expressions has changed. Previously the
Topics regexp was compiled in verbose mode but not documented as such
which caused some confusion. Also, the documentation indicated that
topic keywords could be entered one per line, but these entries were not
handled properly. Topics regexps are now compiled in non-verbose mode
and multi-line entries are 'ored'. Existing Topics regexps will be
converted when the list is updated so they will continue to work.
- Added real name display to the web roster. (LP: #266754)
Bug fixes and other patches
- Changed the response to an invalid confirmation to be more generic.
Not all confirmations are subscription requests.
- Changed the default nonmember_rejection_notice to be more user friendly.
- Added "If you are a list member" qualification to some messages from the
options login page. (LP: #266442)
- Changed the 'Approve' wording in the admindbdetails.html template to
'Accept/Approve' for better agreement with the button labels.
- Added '(by thread)' to the previous and next message links in the
archive to emphasize that even if you got to the message from a
subject, date or author index, previous and next are still by thread.
- There is a new list attribute dmarc_wrapped_message_text and a
DEFAULT_DMARC_WRAPPED_MESSAGE_TEXT setting to set the default for new
lists. This text is added to a message which is wrapped because of
dmarc_moderation_action in a separate text/plain part that precedes the
message/rfc822 part containing the original message. It can be used to
provide an explanation of why the message was wrapped or similar info.
- There is a new list attribute equivalent_domains and a
DEFAULT_EQUIVALENT_DOMAINS setting to set the default for new lists which
in turn defaults to the empty string. This provides a way to specify one
or more groups of domains, e.g., mac.com, me.com, icloud.com, which are
considered equivalent for validating list membership for posting and
- There is a new WEB_HEAD_ADD setting to specify text to be added to the
<HEAD> section of Mailman's internally generated web pages. This doesn't
apply to pages built from templates, but in those cases, custom templates
can be created. (LP: #1409396)
- There is a new DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_OR_INVITE setting. Set this to Yes
to make the default selection on the admin Mass Subscriptions page
Invite rather than Subscribe. (LP: #1404511)
- There is a new list attribute in the Bounce processing section.
bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment if set to Yes will cause
Mailman to notify the list owner on every bounce that increments a
list member's score but doesn't result in a probe or disable. There
is a new configuration setting setting
DEFAULT_BOUNCE_NOTIFY_OWNER_ON_BOUNCE_INCREMENT to set the default
for new lists. This in turn defaults to No. (LP: #1382150)
- Mailman's log files, request.pck files and heldmsg-* files are no
longer created world readable to protect against access by untrusted
local users. Note that permissions on existing log files won't be
changed so if you are concerned about this and don't rotate logs or
have a logrotate process that creates new log files instead of letting
Mailman create them, you will need to address that. (LP: #1327404)
- The Python Powered logo image has been replaced in the misc/ directory
in the source distribution. Depending on how you've installed these
images, you may need to copy PythonPowered.png from the misc/ directory
in the source or from the $prefix/icons/ installed directory to another
location for your web server. (LP: #1408575)
- The Romanian message catalog has been updated. (LP: #1415489)
- The Russian templates have been updated by Danil Smirnov. (LP: #1403462)
- The Japanese translation has been updated by SATOH Fumiyasu.
- A minor change in the French translation of a listinfo subscribe form
message has been made. (LP: #1331194)
Bug fixes and other patches
- Fixed a bug in bin/rmlist that would throw an exception or just fail to
remove held message files for a list with regexp special characters in
its name. (LP:#1414864)
- When applying DMARC mitigations, CookHeaders now adds the original From:
to Cc: rather than Reply-To: in some cases to make MUA 'reply' and
'reply all' more consistent with the non-DMARC cases. (LP: #1407098)
- The Subject: of the list welcome message wasn't always in the user's
preferred language. Fixed. (LP: #1400988)
- Accept email command in Subject: prefixed with Re: or similar with no
intervening space. (LP: #1400200)
- Fixed a UnicodeDecodeError that could occur in the web admin interface
if 'text' valued attributes have unicode values. (LP: #1397170)
- We now catch the NotAMemberError exception thrown if an authenticated
unsubscribe is submitted from the user options page for a nonmember.
- Fixed an archiving bug that would cause messages with 'Subject: Re:'
only to be indexed in the archives without a link to the message.
- The vette log entry for a message discarded by a handler now includes
the list name and the name of the handler. (LP: #558096)
- The options CGI now rejects all but HTTP GET and POST requests.
- A list's poster password will now be accepted on an Urgent: header.
- Fixed a bug which caused a setting of 2 for REMOVE_DKIM_HEADERS to be
ignored. (LP: #1363278)
- Renamed messages/sr/readme.sr to README.sr. (LP: #1360616)
- Moved the dmarc_moderation_action checks from the Moderate handler to
the SpamDetect handler so that the Reject and Discard actions will be
done before the message might be held by header_filter_rules, and the
Wrap Message and Munge From actions will be done on messages held by
header_filter_rules if the message is approved. (LP: #1334450)
- <label> tags have been added around most check boxes and radio buttons
and their text labels in the admin and admindb web GUI so they can be
(de)selected by clicking the text. (LP: #266391)
- If checking DNS for dmarc_moderation_action and DNS lookup is not
available, log it. (LP: #1324541)
- Handle missing From: header addresses for DMARC mitigation actions.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Mailman-Users