[Mailman-Users] Nightly Messages Show Problems

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Sat Jul 4 19:19:28 CEST 2015

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 09:11:54 -0700, you wrote:

>On 07/04/2015 08:27 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 07:45:07 -0700, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> These occur because you have installed a crontab which has been
>>> formatted as a system crontab and intended to be installed in a place
>>> like /etc/cron.d/mailman as a user contab somewhere in /var/spool/cron.
>>
>> Interesting. I followed the directions at
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node41.html which
>> say:
>

>This is just one of many reasons for the advice in the FAQ at
><http://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.
>
>Packagers do various things that don't always align with what we
>recommend. In short, If you install from source, follow our docs; if you
>install a package, follow the packager's docs.
>
>In your case, the RedHat package has modified Mailman's crontab.in to be
>a system crontab and already installed it in /etc/cron.d/.
>
>Thus it was wrong to follow our manual and try to install it ads the
>Mailman user's crontab.

Right. And it was wrong of RH not to tell me that up front, or if it
does, it didn't jump up and tell me. Sometimes there's just so much to
read and digest, and much of it has to be done after the fact. I'll
comb their docs and if it's not present, will let you know so somehow
it can be included somewhere.

>To correct this, just do
>
>sudo crontab -u mailman -r

Done.

>Disabling SELinix may help, but you may not want to do that. Otherwise,
>you'd need to address this via SELinux policies, and I don't know what
>would need to be changed. This is interesting because the motivation for
>RedHat's file location changes to be FHS compliant was at least in part
>to make their Mailman package work well with SELinux.

Then calling on my fine command of all things Linux (NOT), I'll leave
it alone.