[Mailman-Users] Can't "close" a list

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon Jul 6 22:27:05 CEST 2015

Sorry to be posting another incredibly dumb question, but after my last
go-round [wherein I learned that I had the RE just right but my #@#%$@#$%
ISP runs spam assassing *after* mailman] I decided to try "closing" the
list.  So I checked thet FAQs and the manuals and did what I thought
should do the job.  In my otherwise empty 'sender filters' I changed:

Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action
is defined.

to "hold"

The membership list consists of a single address, and I sent a message to
the list from a different address and I was very surprised that it just
went through.  So I tried a more brute-force thing for my test: I changed

   List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically
rejected.

to "^.*"

And it came right through: