[Mailman-Users] Mapping member options from Mailman 2 to 3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jul 13 02:39:19 CEST 2015

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > > nmtopics: ???
 > > topics: ???
 >
 > I don't think topics are implemented in MM3.

No.

 > I think there is a Google Summer of Code student working on dynamic
 > sublists which is a different approach to topics.

Yes.  Topics are system whose structure is controlled by the list
admin (owner) through the web, and whose "subsubscriptions" are
controlled by the subscriber, also through the web.  A dynamic sublist
("dlist" for short) as implemented by the Systers' fork of Mailman 2
is created by one user by sending mail to a special mailbox, and
subscribed to by other users in the same way.  Dlists in Mailman 3
will follow the same pattern at first but it should be easy to add a
Postorius interface to allow users to create and subscribe to new
dlists, and view a list of active dlists, thus providing a superset of
"topic" functionality.  The main thing missing that might be desired
by some list admins is the ability to limit creation of dlists to
designated individuals.  (Offhand, I can't think of an application
where I would consider this limitation justified, but I'm sure they
exist.  However, this could be emulated to a certain degree with a
system of regular lists and umbrella lists.)

 > These questions are better asked on mailman-developers at python.org.

+1