[Mailman-Users] Some pages are only partially translated - most still show part of page in English

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 3 22:16:04 CEST 2015

On 06/03/2015 03:26 AM, Michael Lake wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Thanks Mark for your reply. I realise its all done by volunteers. Sorry I can't help on translations as I only know English, C, Fortran etc :-)
> Im confused though as according to the link below many languages are fully translated. But if I select what ever language its always the same section that remains untranslated e.g.  I get "You may enter a privacy password below. etc ... " in English. Surely that phrase has been translated. If I pick Japanese which has been nearly fully translated I still get in the Subscribing section most of the text in English. Just the button label is translated.
> https://translations.launchpad.net/mailman/2.1/+pots/mailman

First of all, the page you refer to was part of a project that was
started by a woman who subsequently had health issues and ultimately
died. What is there is based on message catalogs imported from Mailman
at some point and probably never updated since. There have been many
Mailman updates since then that affect translations, and some
translations have been partially or completely updated since following
guidelines/procedures at <http://wiki.list.org/DEV/i18nhowto>. None of
this is reflected at the translations.launchpad.net site.

Furthermore, the phrase "You may enter a privacy password below. etc ...
" is not in a string in the message catalog. It is in the listinfo.html
template. Every one of the 38 partially or fully supported translations
contains this translated template and none of them appear to contain
that phrase in English.

I suspect the issue in your case is that the templates for the various
translations are not installed on your server, so Mailman falls back to
the English template (the button labels are dynamic and do come from the
message catalog, but the bulk of the page comes from the template).

Does your Mailman installation have 39 'lc' subdirectories in (I think
in Debian) /usr/lib/mailman/templates/ or does it just have
/usr/lib/mailman/templates/en/.

Also, how about /usr/lib/mailman/messages/ (there normally is not an
'en' here)?

If I'm not mistaken, the Debian Mailman install process requires you to
specify the languages you want to support at install time. Try

dpkg-reconfigure mailman