[Mailman-Users] DNS Rdatatype?

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Tue Jun 30 05:15:35 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-29 22:09, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 06/29/2015 07:51 PM, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>
>> [root at gothamweb02 ~]# python
>> Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jan  9 2013, 06:47:03)
>> [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54)] on linux2
>> 16
>>>>>
>> [root at gothamweb02 ~]#
>>

> Look at /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py. Near the beginning do you
> see
>
> try:
>     import dns.resolver
>     from dns.exception import DNSException
>     dns_resolver = True
> except ImportError:
>     dns_resolver = False
>

> If not, what do you see for imports of 'dns' modules?
>
> Also, how do you start Mailman. If via an init.d script what Python
> does
> it use (Note that a definition of PYTHON may be overridden by something
> imported from /etc/sysconfig).
Those lines ARE there:
try:
     import dns.resolver
     from dns.exception import DNSException
     dns_resolver = True
except ImportError:
     dns_resolver = False

init.d script:
[root at gothamweb02 Mailman]# more /etc/init.d/mailman
#!/bin/sh
#
# mailman    This shell script starts and stops GNU Mailman.
#
# Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA.
#
# Copy this file to /etc/init.d/ (or /etc/rc.d/init.d/ depending on
# your system) and activate it as such:
#
# On Debian, type "update-rc.d mailman defaults"
# On RedHat, and derivatives, install with "chkconfig --add mailman"
#
# chkconfig: - 98 12
#              manages electronic mail discussion groups.  For more \
#              on GNU Mailman see http://www.list.org
# processname: mailmanctl
# config: /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
# pidfile: /var/run/mailman/master-qrunner.pid

MAILMANHOME=/usr/lib/mailman
MAILMANCTL=$MAILMANHOME/bin/mailmanctl

# We used to install the mailman cron jobs when the mailman rpm was
# installed, irrespective of whether mailman was actually being
# run. Although the cron jobs didn't create any problems if someone
# wasn't running mailman some users complained about the cron log file
# filling up, resource usage, and power consumption since systems
# wouldn't really idle. It really only makes sense to run the mailman
# cron jobs if the mailman service is turned on and not just merely
# having the rpm installed. This init.d script is an obvious place to
# install or remove the cron jobs based on the service being enabled
# or not.

SRC_CRON_SCRIPT=$MAILMANHOME/cron/crontab.in
DST_CRON_SCRIPT=/etc/cron.d/mailman

function InstallCron()
{
     install -m644 -o root -g root $SRC_CRON_SCRIPT $DST_CRON_SCRIPT
}

function RemoveCron()
{
cat > $DST_CRON_SCRIPT <<EOF
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#
# Contents of this file managed by /etc/init.d/mailman
# Master copy is /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in
# Consult that file for documentation
EOF
}

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

RETVAL=0
prog="mailman"

function start()
{
     echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
     daemon $MAILMANCTL -s -q start
     RETVAL=$?
     if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]
     then
	touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
	InstallCron
     fi
     echo
     return $RETVAL
}

function stop()
{
     echo -n $"Shutting down $prog: "
     daemon $MAILMANCTL -q stop
     RETVAL=$?
     if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]
     then
	rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
	RemoveCron
     fi
     echo
     return $RETVAL
}

function restart()
{
     stop
     start
     RETVAL=$?
     return $RETVAL
}

case "$1" in
'start')
     start
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;

'stop')
     stop
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;

'restart')
     restart
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;

'condrestart')
     $MAILMANCTL -q -u status
     retval=$?
     if [ $retval -eq 0 ]
     then
	restart
	RETVAL=$?
     fi
     ;;

'status')
     $MAILMANCTL -u status
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;

*)
     echo $"Usage: $prog {start|stop|restart|condrestart}"
	RETVAL=3
     ;;

esac
exit $RETVAL
[root at gothamweb02 Mailman]#

[root at gothamweb02 sysconfig]# ls
atd	     ip6tables-config	     pgsql
auditd	     ipmi		     pm-action
authconfig   iptables-config	     prelink
autofs	     iptables-config.rpmnew  raid-check
bluetooth    irda		     rawdevices
cbq	     irqbalance		     readonly-root
clock	     kernel		     rhn
conman	     keyboard		     run-parts
console      krb524		     samba
cpuspeed     kudzu		     saslauthd
crond	     mkinitrd		     selinux
desktop      modules		     smartmontools
dovecot      named		     squid
dsm_sa_ipmi  named.rpmnew	     syslog
dund	     netconsole		     system-config-securitylevel
firstboot    network		     system-config-users
grub	     networking		     tux
hidd	     network-scripts	     udev-stw
httpd	     nfs		     vncservers
hwconf	     nspluginwrapper	     wpa_supplicant
i18n	     ntpd		     xinetd
init	     pand
[root at gothamweb02 sysconfig]# grep PYTHON *
[root at gothamweb02 sysconfig]#

and the ONLY python is the system one in /usr/bin

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 108 Turvey Cove, Hutto, TX 78634-5688