[Mailman-Users] Jump from Python 2.4 to 2.7...

Bill.Costa at unh.edu Bill.Costa at unh.edu
Mon Mar 2 17:22:57 CET 2015

I'm going to be doing a new Mailman installation on a Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL) system 5.11 with Python 2.4.3.  The goal
is to convert existing ListProc mailing lists to Mailman without
having to change the addresses for the lists.  I've done a
similar conversion in the past many years ago and expect it to
take a few months to get all my list owners moved to the to the
new MLM.

When all the lists are eventually converted or retired, I will
then migrate this new Mailman installation from the above
platform to a new RHEL 7 installation with Python 2.7.

My question is, are there any quirks or gotchas that I should be
aware of in going from the old RHEL/Python platform to the new
one?  Is there anything I can do on the old system now that will
make migration to the new platform easier?  For example, I could
use Pythonbrew to install a private v2.7 Python on the old box
for Mailman to use, rather than relying on the system's older
Python.

In general is it a good practice to give Mailman it's own Python
installation rather than relying on and dinking with the system's
Python.

...BC

--
  Bill Costa