[Mailman-Users] Jump from Python 2.4 to 2.7...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 2 18:53:15 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 08:22 AM, Bill.Costa at unh.edu wrote:

> My question is, are there any quirks or gotchas that I should be
> aware of in going from the old RHEL/Python platform to the new
> one?  Is there anything I can do on the old system now that will
> make migration to the new platform easier?  For example, I could
> use Pythonbrew to install a private v2.7 Python on the old box
> for Mailman to use, rather than relying on the system's older
> Python.

Are you installing Mailman 2.1.19 on the Red Hat system or using
whatever Red Hat rpm package that's available, and if the latter, what
is that? And, what Mailman will you be using on the RHEL 7 system?

I ask because the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/8486953> may be relevant.

Assuming you will be installing Mailman 2.1.19 from source, I would be
more concerned over potential difficulties due to the older Python than
with any gotchas from moving to a newer Python although there are some
compatibility issues with older Mailman versions and newer Python. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/4030629> for more on both kinds.

> In general is it a good practice to give Mailman it's own Python
> installation rather than relying on and dinking with the system's
> Python.

My production server is Centos 5 with Python 2.4.3, but I also have
Python 2.7.9 installed and configure Mailman
--with-python=/usr/bin/python2.7. I wouldn't necessarily call it "good
practice", but it's certainly a viable approach.