[Mailman-Users] Jump from Python 2.4 to 2.7...

Bill.Costa at unh.edu Bill.Costa at unh.edu
Mon Mar 2 21:15:01 CET 2015

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> recently posted, in part...

> Are you installing Mailman 2.1.19 on the Red Hat system or
> using whatever Red Hat rpm package that's available, and if the
> latter, what is that? And, what Mailman will you be using on
> the RHEL 7 system?

Well my original plan was to install the latest and greatest
Mailman on both the old RHEL 5 system, and then the new RHEL 7,
rather than use whatever the RPM package does.

> I ask because the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/8486953> may
> be relevant.

It definitely is relevant.  I was just asking the system admin if
I should be putting the install someplace other than what was
recommended in the manual and I specifically mentioned FHS
issues.

> Assuming you will be installing Mailman 2.1.19 from source, I
> would be more concerned over potential difficulties due to the
> older Python than with any gotchas from moving to a newer
> Python although there are some compatibility issues with older
> Mailman versions and newer Python. See
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030629> for more on both kinds.

Well that's why I thought it could avoid issues by installing the
latest Python as well, just for Mailman, and leave the system
Python alone.

> My production server is Centos 5 with Python 2.4.3, but I also have
> Python 2.7.9 installed and configure Mailman
> --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.7. I wouldn't necessarily call it "good
> practice", but it's certainly a viable approach.

Thanks for the confirmation.

...BC

--
  Bill Costa