[Mailman-Users] Jump from Python 2.4 to 2.7...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 2 23:04:49 CET 2015

On 03/02/2015 01:56 PM, Laura Creighton wrote:

> I have been away.  I get to this discussion late, and so sorry if
> this has been mentioned, but
>
> YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST NOT CHANGE YOUR CENTOS SYSTEM PYTHON 2.4.3 OR YOU
> WILL BREAK YOUR WHOLE PACKAGING SYSTEM!

Quite true. I found this out the hard way a long time ago. Yum depends
on various other 'site-packages' modules which IIRC would not work on
Python newer than 2.4.x I gave up. That's why the default Python on my
CentOS 5 server is 2.4.3, even though there is a python2.7 invoking
python 2.7.9 and most everything that I install that uses Python is
configured to use python2.7.