[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Marco Stoecker marco at stoecker-family.de
Thu Mar 19 19:31:08 CET 2015

On 03/19/2015 05:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 03/18/2015 02:46 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:
>>
>> I have Mailman up and running. I just sent an e-mail to 5 lists
>> and the e-mail came duplicated to the recipients. I checked the
>> header and the only difference is the following:
>>
>> 1. Header: X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.5 required=5.0
>> tests=BAYES_00 autolearn=unavailable version=3.3.1
>>
>> 2. Header: X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.5 required=5.0
>> tests=BAYES_00 autolearn=ham version=3.3.1
>

> I'm confused. Are you looking at all the headers or just those your
> MUA shows you by default?

Indeed, I looked only to the headers I recieved
(Iceweasel->View->Message Source). Even now I checked those header my
wife got, because she and I are in different lists, but received
duplicates. Her headers seems identical.

> If you look at all the headers, at a minimum, some Received:
> headers and Mailman's X-BeenThere: header should be different.
>

>> How can a avoid duplicates in future? What is the reason?
>

> Normally, if you cross post to 5 lists, people who are members of
> more than one of the lists will receive a copy of the post from
> each of the lists of which they are members.
>
> The only way to avoid this is by using the Non-digest options ->
> regular_exclude_lists feature. For example, if you regularly post
> a single post to list1, list2, list3, list4 and list5, you could
> put list2, list3, list4 and list5 in list1's regular_exclude_lists,
> and put list3, list4 and list5 in list2's regular_exclude_lists,
> and put list4 and list5 in list3's regular_exclude_lists and
> finally put list5 in list4's regular_exclude_lists.
>
> Then if a post is addressed to all 5 lists, anyone who is a member
> of list2, list3, list4 or list5 will not receive the post from
> list1 and anyone who is a member of list3, list4 or list5 will not
> receive the post from list2 and so on. See the (Details for
> regular_exclude_lists) link for more info.

This hint is very useful to me as I have more lists with members that
are in more than one list.

But in this dedicated case I wrote to 5 lists where the members are
disjunct and my wife, and I got duplicates. I don't know why :-S

I assumed that the others got duplicates too, but I have to proof.

BR
Marco