[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 20 01:33:14 CET 2015

On 03/19/2015 04:50 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>
>> It is polite, though, to make sure you're not sending
>> duplicate posts to people by doing a "Reply to All" which
>> will probably send a copy of your reply to _both_ the list
>> and the original poster.  I think that this is a common point
>> of confusion.  "All" in this context doesn't mean "all the
>> list subscribers", but "all the addresses in the headers."
>
> In all the mail clients I use, I get a choice of Reply, which for this list will reply only to the original sender, or Reply All, which sends it to the original sender and the list. If I want to reply just to the list, I have to hit Reply All and then delete the original sender's address. I usually don't bother, and I assumed most people don't. Has that been annoying people? I thought mailman was smart enough not to send another copy to people in the Cc list.

On Mailman lists at least it is a user option to receive or not receive
two copies of list posts in which they are also directly addressed.
Thus, I feel it is never necessary to remove the poster's address from a
the poster might be a digest member or even on some lists, a non-member,
and 'reply all' gets them a copy now as opposed to in the next digest or
never.

That said, I tend to use 'reply list' when it's available.