[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Fri Mar 20 02:15:27 CET 2015

On 3/19/15 5:53 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> What I've found interesting is that some of my correspondents (off-list)
> actually *want* top posting, and find anything else confusing.  I think I
> understand why in at least some cases; Apple Mail top posts by default, and
> some folks just don't like to go digging around in the email to find the
> answer they're looking for.  I've actually tried to accommodate that when
> sending email to them.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry
Another reason that I have been told by some people that they want
people to top post is that their client will show in the message list a
summary of the first line of the message, and they want that to be the
new content to see if it is worth reading, as opposed to the quote of
the message they have already decided to read or not. (of course, the
answer is that it would be better if the client showed the first
non-quote line if possible).

--
Richard Damon