[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 20 06:39:30 CET 2015

Andrew Stuart writes:

 > For example I’m still not really clear on which field the list
 > address should go into,

To or CC.  Most Mailman lists will refuse to accept mail BCC'd to the
list.

 > and does it matter what other addresses go into to and cc fields.

It doesn't matter for mechanical purposes.  To, CC, and BCC are all
routed the same way (using RCPT TO aka "envelope recipient" at the
SMTP level), and To and CC are handled the same way by almost all
receiving MUAs (BCC is, of course, as invisible to the receiving MUA
as it is to the human).

So To is your target, and CC is the innocent bystander, and BCC are
the sniggerers in the peanut gallery, as always.