[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Mar 20 15:49:39 CET 2015

On 3/20/2015 10:27 AM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse at fmp.com> wrote:
> My MUA of choice is Evolution, formerly from Ximian but now a gnome GPL
> project.  It has this feature, as does Thunderbird, which is fairly
> popular.  I was under the impression that Outlook and/or Outlook Express
> had it too, but I'm not sure about this.

Ummm... this is not what you said initially.

You said "In many mail user agents, when you press the "Reply" button
the program will analyze the headers, determine that the post being
replied to came from a list and offer a "Reply to List" option..."

The 'Reply-To-List' button in Thunderbird is a completely separate
button. Also, when you click the normal 'Reply' button, it simply
replies, it doesn't 'analyze any headers' or present you with any other
options or choices... same for every other MUA I know of.

So, it sounds like you just sortof misspoke... ;)

Admittedly - the 'Smart Reply' button in Thunderbird *does* actually
actively change behavior depending on whether or not the message has
list headers (and also whether or not there are multiple recipients),
but as I said, I don't get to use it much since I can't put it on the
main toolbar (I do have a bug open for this)...